Saturday, June 6, 2009

Call Me Teacher

I have completed my first week of teaching. There will be some changes made for the remaining weeks concerning both the daily schedule and how I plan my lessons. The 3rd session of the day will be shortened from 2 ½ to 2 hours. Hopefully the students will come to class more refreshed if their lunch break is lengthened a bit. Last week, I couldn’t blame the students if they were tired or unenthused. I would be the same in an afternoon class that followed lunch and was nearly three hours long. I have to also take into account that these students should actually be on their semester break. Their yearly schedule was adjusted to accommodate the ISSLP. Don’t worry, they still get their well-deserved vacation at the end of June.

Charlie and I have been doing some exploring after our classes. Our first major hike was to the edge of the plateau where there is a “great” view of the Great Rift Valley. That walk was about seven kilometers from the parish. With our binoculars, we could just barely see the giraffes walking through the fields below. I felt like I was on top of the world.

Another walk took us into the forest uphill and behind the school buildings. There are winding trails through the brush made by the herds of cattle that pass through. Walking through a thin path, Charlie and I encountered our first enemy. We rubbed against a plant that caused instantaneous pain and burning. I couldn’t believe (and can’t even describe) how intense the pain was. Within seconds, the knuckles on my right hand were swollen and red and throbbing. Charlie’s arm was the same from his elbow to his hand. I brushed against the plant with my leg also, and even though I was wearing jeans, my leg just above the right knee was also wildly burning. I quickly remembered that in my pack I had a Benadryl roll-on pen. I pulled it out, ripped off the top, and Charlie and I started soaking the affected areas. I said to Charlie, “Please forgive me, but this is necessary.” You see, the only way to get to the rash on my leg was to pull down my pants. What a scene! Two guys frantically passing back and forth a Benadryl pen- one with his jeans around his ankles. Laughing at the situation eased more pain than the medicine. The intensity of the sting diminished as the night went on. We could still feel the numbing burn as we climbed into bed six hours later.

There was a heavy downpour during our afternoon class on Friday. When the rains stopped, the skies cleared and the sun was warm and bright. All fog and clouds cleared from the Valley, too. I could see for miles across the Valley. It was as if the Valley doubled in size. There were hills in the distance that I hadn’t seen before. Charlie and I hiked down the trail and up a hill a few kilometers away. We found a large rock and just sat there. The rolling hills around us are very alive and green. From our perch we could spot a few farms and animals grazing. The hills (to me they’re mountains) in the Valley stood extra tall and sharp against the deep blue sky. We watched the nearly-full moon rise from the east as the sun fell below the line of trees behind us. It was beyond peaceful. The perfect way to end an amazing week.

Today’s hike took us to a small village called Cambia Simba, which means “camp of lions” in Swahili. Once a month the village hosts a market where venders come to sell livestock, fruit, vegetables, clothing, shoes, knives, pots, and many other items. I enjoyed walking around from booth to booth and tent to tent. I went with the students because they knew the way well. Most of our time was spent traveling there and back. The trip was almost two hours each way. Most of the clothing and shoes looked second hand. I wonder how a VFW jacket from Kentucky made its way here. I even found a Notre Dame fleece and a U of M jacket. I really hope these items weren’t donations being sold to the villagers. Charlie and I purchased blankets that are worn in the morning and evening when it gets chilly. The vender asked 21,000 Tsh (Tanzanian Shillings) each, but the students knew that he was taking advantage of us. We moved on and found the same blankets for only 7,000 Tsh, which is about $5.70.

I have learned that my SPF 15 doesn’t stand up against the African sun. By the time we made it back to Kitete, I was able to play tic-tac-toe on my arms.

Thank you all for your prayers and encouragement.

2 comments:

  1. Teacher,
    Sounds like they have plants similar to stinging nettles but worst. Good thing you had Ben with you. I'm glad that you are getting see the country side, the animals and plants. Enjoy your teaching, remember you are learnng as well as the student.
    Take care, time to get ready to go to church nd then off to work.
    Peace,
    Uncle Ronnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jordan-
    Thanks for keeping us up to date on your adventures. Your presence and attempts to teach facts and pass on information are very important. Probably more significant is the time and effort you are making to help the students. I agree with your uncle that you will learn and benefit more than your students, just as I feel I benefit more than the ND students when I return there to share some of my life experiences. Continue the great work. Look forward to seeing you in the fall.
    Dr McCauley

    ReplyDelete