Friday, May 22, 2009

Hello from Kitete!

Fr. Comfort said that the drive from Arusha to St. Brendan's Parish in Kitete was going to take 1.5 hours unless there were elephants in the road. I thought he was joking. He wasn't. The drive up the ridge takes us through the Great Rift Valley and the Manyara National Park. Although we haven't seen any elephants yet, there were wild giraffes and zebras eating near the side of the road. I couldn't believe it. We even saw a family of baboons on our way up the ridge. Kitete is so beautiful. From the top we look over the Valley and Lake Manyara. So many reminders of home here! The farmers grow corn and wheat, and yesterday on a walk I saw some farmers working on a combine to get ready from the harvest. And there is no question that we are with the Holy Cross. I feel right at home with a protrait of Bl. Basil Moreau and Bl. Brother Andre hanging in the sitting room. The students and families have been very welcoming. My first night here I ate like a king! They slaughtered a lamb for dinner- it was delicious. I have already made many friends, and they are very interested in learning more about my home, Notre Dame, and America. The days begin early with Mass in Swahili at 7:30am. I don't understand what is being said, but I can follow along with the order of the Mass. We truly are the universal church! There is so much singing. The children sing all the time, and the cook is always humming in the kitchen. I hope to be able to join the choir in the church soon. Last night I played volleyball. Everybody comes together in the evening to play- the students, the priests, and even the teachers. Volleyball is played every night, and I couldn't be more excited. I won't begin teaching for a while. Next week the students take exams, so there isn't any class. I can't wait to begin even though I am pretty nervous. It gets cool at night, but you should see the stars! God is good! Amina!

No comments:

Post a Comment